Saturday, September 4, 2010

Legacy of a simpleton


The luxury of time.- Kalewès.-

"Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours, and minutes every day. The rich can’t buy more hours. Scientists cannot invent new minutes. And you can not save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair, and forgiving. No matter how much time you have wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow." ~Denis Waitely (British novelist).

L'espace d'un cillement.- In the flicker of an eyelid.-

When one reaches un certain âge (a certain age), one starts reflecting on what kind of legacy, one will leave behind. Every aspect of living (and dying for that matter) involves the process of time. Yes, time is precious, we never know for sure how much of it we are allotted. How do we know whether or not we are spending it responsibly? better yet, is it necessary to spend it responsibly? Shouldn’t we just experience the condition of being alive? lifting our spirits? praying, and playing? humming, and humping? Who is accountable for "time" anyway? Christians believe in God, Buddhists in Buddha, Muslims in Allah, and of course, we (Ayitians) believe in the lwas (deities of Ayitian vodou religion). I have somehow inferred, that it is "time" for me to "chillax". My friends, and loved ones agree that my sensitivity, and honesty, have always been my life's biggest hurdle, some say it is/has been my "malheur" (the bane of my life), just because, I have felt every single of my life experiences to the core of my being (nan nannan m), happiness is retrospective, that is why lifetime not-so-secret/down low lovers, and concubines, often reminisce, and wax about le bon vieux temps (the good ole days), childhood friends hark back to bygones era, and why, pleasant scenes keep revolving in our minds. A la recherche du temps perdu, (Remembrance of things past).

Note: Vodou: Afro-Caribbean religion, sometimes spelled Vodu or Vudu in Benin; in Togo: also Vodon, Vodoun, Voudou, or other phonetically equivalent spellings. In Ayiti: Vudu, Vaudou, Vodu, Vodoo.

And for my crimes, this is my time.- Sa m fè, ma p peye.-


In this atypical life of mine, I have been humiliated, mystified, fooled, lied to, coaxed, bullied, physically abused, vilified, blemished, cajoled, loved, adored, despised, tolerated, spoiled, caressed, and I have been the anathema to many, but I still advocate to the theory, that Good will always triumph over Evil, I am without regrets, and I pray the Lord daily, to keep acrimony out of my heart, (it may be too late for the latter), then again, I see my kids' face, laughing, smiling, developing, and reaching maturity, learning, discovering, questioning, ♫ 
and I say to myself What a wonderful world ♪.

This is what life is all about: the pains, les petites joies, the love, hugs and chocolate kisses, the smiles, the laughters, the ironies, the tears, the treacheries, the betrayals, the dreams, the achievements, the fiascos, the catastrophes, the failures, la douceur du pardon, the sweetness of forgiveness, the unexpected, the sorrows, the fears, the dramas, the disillusions, the chicaneries ect...My legacy (if any), will reside in the many warm embraces that I have exchanged, or in the 2 cents worth of advice I have given, the unconditional, scrupulous, and candid love that I have shared. My wishes are simple: I would like to be thought of, as the person who offered a shoulder to cry on to others, the one who mourned with those who mourned, and helped them find the courage within themselves to get back up, I pray daily, that "in memoriam" of MOI, my two (2) children will remember me, as the person who laughed, joked, and endlessly lectured them to find the courage within themselves to be unique, to stand for what is right, ethical, to always (no matter the price) have a "moral certainty", I hope, they don't let evil overcome them, au contraire, they should overcome evil by doing good, and to always be les avocats des causes perdues (the devil's advocates). This life of mine, would not be in vain after all, if three (3) scores from now, my children recollect how they felt when they were in my company, it would not be futile, if they remember that TRUTH, and confidence are the roots of happiness, it would not be hollow, if they actualise that other people's opinions of them, do not have to become their realities, and most significantly, It is not WHO is right, but WHAT is right, that is important...Wait, be still, and patient, keep God first, and everything else will follow...Continuance in kind.

A certain éclat.- It ain't EZ.-

Things could have been worse, much worse, and I am content they are not. I am tired, but I am felicitous, elated, and blessed because I am living, breathing, exultant for my family, happy for blue skies, sunsets, jubilant to be here, to have hope, to know that things will be better, and eventually, I will be vindicated.
"Truth is generally the best vindication against slander" (Abraham Lincoln)

He/she conquers who endures.-.


If you are happy with who you are, then victory is at your door step, no one can take it away from you, and at least in those little tiny moments when you are nice to yourself, failure can not get to you. We can never determine the outcome of anything. We can only be prepared, and try our very best. But, if life has brought you down to your knees, things should crumble, and the following advices: just work harder or put things in perspective, and it’s destiny just isn’t cutting it for you, or when even spirituality may not be enough, if you have turned into anybody without dreams, if nothing is like it was, if all is lost forever, if you are shattered, or even have cracked in the face of adversity, I beseech you to remember that you still have one powerful weapon left at your disposal: You can still decide how you will treat yourself in the process. So, I supplicate you to choose to treat yourself with love, patience, understanding, and caring.

Evil is always possible, Goodness is a difficulty.-

I am cognizant, that it takes time, and effort to stop rolling in the mud, it may require a colossal effort not to fall into the crevasse (abyss) of human illusion, it is hard to follow a righteous path in a labyrinth without walls, but I know it is possible. I know that I can lean back, and gotta get, THAT, dirt off my shoulder (Jay-Z, Ref:1), in the interim, allow me to sing David Phelps' lyrics (Ref:2) ♪♫ As I look in the eyes of my daughter, and my son, I hope, ♫♪ I've stood for something that they'll want to carry on, ♫ 'cause life is far too short not to finally realise that it's long enough to make a difference in someone's life ♫♪ So I'm gonna love my neighbor, ♪♪ and I'm gonna love my wife, wrap my arms around my children, and pray with them each night ♪♫ Thank God for all the good things cause the good things are enough, the ties that bind, and leave behind a legacy of LOVE...♫♪

As an aside: Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors, call what they do PRACTICE?

Ref:1-: Jay-Z: Arguably the greatest American born rapper to ever live.

Ref:2-: David Phelps: Christian vocalist, and lyricist.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gardy...It's easy sunday evening,I finally found time to finish reading "Legacy of a simpleton".Beautiful piece,well written as usual.I took my time and savor on every single word as if it were a delicious Haitian dish.Can't wait for the next blog...God bless

    Henri

    ReplyDelete